Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Thoughts on Ghosts (up to page 222)

As I continue to read this book, it has been coming clearer to me that the main purpose is to express all of the ghostly things that happen to the main characters. In other words, the plot surrounds the idea of Sethe's dead daughter, Beloved, is haunting her and Denver because of what she did to make her angry. Because the other character, Beloved, has been involved with the family, the thought of her daughter coming back on Earth to seek vengeance is even more present. Both Sethe and Denver are convinced that Beloved is there as the real-life version of who she would have been if she was still alive. Even though this book is fiction, some may say that ghosts really do exist. In my opinion, they do not. I do not think that someone that has died can come back to haunt anyone. If there is someone (i.e. a deceased relative or friends) that is always on one's mind, their mind will play tricks on them, causing them to believe that they are in each other's presence. The idea that someone can come back to life in a body that is not there own is crazy to me; it just does not make sense. Of course, there are some things I believe in that seem out of the ordinary. For example, when my grandmother was alive, she used to do this thing where she would place a penny on one of her toes and flick it off, a talent that no one else had. Ever since she died, my whole family has found pennies (we call them "pennies from Heaven") in places that we wished she could have made it to, like our sporting events or anything else she used to support us in. Although they may just seem like regular pennies, they have meaning to my family because it is as if my grandmother is flicking another penny off of her toe to show us that she is still with us. I do not believe that people can feel the deceased's presence, because one they are gone, they are gone. I do believe that there will always be signs that they are there, but nothing like what happened in Beloved.

No comments:

Post a Comment